San Francisco Chronicle
Bay Area Dining Habits
Here are some results from a Chronicle and OpenTable survey of 1,320 Bay
Area diners. The survey was conducted online on August 4-5.
Frequency of Dining Out
* Compared to one year ago, how often are you now eating dinner at restaurants?
More often than one year ago 38%
The same 50%
Less often than one year ago 12%
* If you selected "more often," why is this? (Check all that apply):
There are exciting new restaurants 34%
I am being more social 28%
I have more money to spend 25%
I'm dining out more for business 15%
I'm tired of cooking/doing 14%
* What's important to you when you select a restaurant?
Note: Figures do not add up to 100 percent because people could check more
than one answer.
* How has your eating changed in the last year? (Check all that apply.)
I am eating at more local spots in my neighborhood 58%
I am eating at small-plates restaurants more often 37%
I am eating at ethnic restaurants more often 35%
I am eating at more expensive restaurants 32%
I am consuming fewer carbs 25%
I am eating at cheaper restaurants 14%
I am choosing red meat entrees more often 13%
I am eating at more restaurants with lounges/DJs 6%
Cost of Restaurant Meals
* How much is your average dinner check per person at a restaurant, including
drinks, tax and tip?
Price per person
$15 or below 3%
$51 or more 18%
* Would you be willing to spend $50 per person on dinner, including drinks,
tax and tip?
* Compared to a year ago, are you now spending more or less when you go out