Milestone further establishes OpenTable as a leading consumer destination for restaurant reservations across the country
TORONTO, Aug. 18, 2015 /CNW/ -- OpenTable, the world's leading provider of online restaurant reservations and part of The Priceline Group (NASDAQ: PCLN), today announced that it has seated more than 30 million diners in Canada, further establishing OpenTable as a leading consumer destination for restaurant reservations across the country.
In celebration of the milestone, OpenTable is sharing an infographic illustrating Canadian OpenTable diner trends and behaviours since the company entered Canada in 2002.
"Canadians love to dine out and OpenTable strives to make their dining experience the best it can be," said Bryan Huehn, OpenTable Country Manager for Canada. "We're thrilled that we have reached the 30 million diners milestone. We are continuing to listen to what diners want and are constantly updating our offerings to meet the needs of diners and restaurants across the country."
Some of the unique trends seen during OpenTable's climb to 30 million diners across Canada include:
- A Mobile-Friendly Nation: Since 2012, the number of Canadian diners using OpenTable on mobile devices has steadily increased. In 2012, 13 per cent of diners were seated via mobile devices, while in the first quarter of 2015, 29 per cent of seated diners used their mobile device to make reservations. To date, the total number of seated diners that made their reservation via mobile devices is more than five million.
- Canadians Love this Day for Dining Out: Valentine's Day consistently ranks number one as the day most diners are seated via OpenTable, followed by Mother's Day.
- Diner Demographics: In 2014, 10 per cent of diners seated in Canada were international visitors, demonstrating the high usage of OpenTable as a dining guide and reservation tool for travellers.
- Rave Reviews: Canadian OpenTable diners have been sharing restaurant reviews since 2008. And their opinions matter! The combined opinions of more than 275,000 reviews submitted by verified OpenTable diners for approximately 1,600 restaurants in Canada determined the recent Top 100 Best Restaurants in Canada list as well as the Top 100 Best Outdoor Dining Restaurants in Canada list.
- Palate Preferences: Italian cuisine ranked number one overall across the country and it was also the favourite cuisine among diners in Calgary and Toronto. Montréal diners preferred French cuisine and Vancouver diners preferred seafood.
To view an infographic depicting the trends and behaviours discussed above as well as other unique Canadian diner statistics, please visit http://bit.ly/1OON2xj.
Follow OpenTable Canada on Twitter: @OpenTableCanada
OpenTable, part of The Priceline Group (NASDAQ: PCLN), is the world's leading provider of online restaurant reservations, seating more than 16 million diners per month via online bookings across more than 32,000 restaurants. The OpenTable network connects restaurants and diners, helping diners discover and book the perfect table and helping restaurants deliver personalized hospitality to keep guests coming back. The OpenTable service enables diners to see which restaurants have available tables, select a restaurant based on
verified diner reviews, menus, and other helpful information, and easily book a reservation. In addition to the company's website and mobile apps, OpenTable powers online reservations for nearly 600 partners, including many of the Internet's most popular global and local brands. For restaurants, the OpenTable hospitality solutions enable them to manage their reservation book, streamline their operations, and enhance their service levels. Since its inception in 1998, OpenTable has seated more than 830 million diners around the world. The Company is headquartered in San Francisco, California, and the OpenTable
service is available throughout the United States, as well as in Canada, Germany, Japan, Mexico, and the UK.
Photo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20150817/259102-INFO
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20150228/178602LOGO
SOURCE OpenTable, Inc.
News Provided by Acquire Media